Vegan Pancake Recipes: Pancakes are one of those breakfasts that we just crave sometimes. The fluffy, yet dense and rich texture and sweet, buttery flavor make for a fulfilling, satisfying, and delightful start to any day. While obviously not the healthiest choice, pancakes are good for the soul and bring you back to a place in your childhood. Let’s take a look at two different ways to remove animal products from the breakfast equation and explore two delicious vegan pancake recipes that will truly wow your entire brunch crew!
1. Buttermilk Vegan Pancake Recipes
The classic, fluffy diner pancake, buttermilk pancakes are a staple on any American breakfast menu. They’re soft pillows of dough that have the perfect consistency to soak up syrup and toppings without becoming too soggy too quickly, creating a delicious meal you can savor. Obviously, buttermilk is not vegan but with the help of a special ingredient and some prep work, you can make a faux-buttermilk version that tastes literally the exact same as grandma’s classic, dairy-style recipe!
This recipe was adapted from this recipe from Buzzfeed’s Tasty to create a fluffier texture and slightly heavier flavor profile.
Vegan Pancakes Recipes Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 ½ tbsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk alternative
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
How To Make
- In a bowl, combine the milk alternative and apple cider vinegar. Set it aside for around ten minutes to activate. This will create the buttermilk replacement that will create the tangy flavor and fluffy texture we are looking for.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined
- Pour in the buttermilk replacement and vanilla extract. Mix well until a smooth batter forms.
- Scoop ½ cup of the mix into a lightly greased, hot pan and let cook until it begins to bubble. Flip and let finish cooking
- Top with syrup or your choice of toppings.
- Do not cook on high heat, opt for medium to ensure even cooking without the risk of burning the outer edges.
2. Vegan Banana Pancakes Recipes
Like the all-knowing Jack Johnson once alluded to in his hit song “Banana Pancakes”, banana pancakes are delicious and a great way to take a classic unhealthy breakfast treat and make it into a better for you meal that will keep you full and fueled for hours to come. Plus, they are super easy to make and can be prepared as a perfect big-batch meal! You simply cannot go wrong.
- ½ cup oat flour or healthy flour alternative of choice
- 2 large, ripe bananas
- 6 tbsp milk alternative
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
How To Make
- In a bowl, mash the banana until no chunks are left. Add the flour, milk, sugar, and salt.
- Mix well
- Grease a pan very well and scoop the mix by the quarter cup
- Let them cook until bubbly
- Let cook through
These are especially delicious with peanut butter smeared on or with chocolate chips mixed in the batter before cooking. As a whole, this recipe is going to be very filling and keep you feeling great due to the nutritional content, making it perfect for pre-workout or post-workout eating. Some people even mix in a bit of protein powder with the flour for a little boost!
Something to keep in mind when making these is that they are rather prone to sticking. You need to really oil the pan, not to the point where they are going to become grease sponges floating in hot oil but enough that you can easily flip them. This may take a little trial and error, especially if your pans do not heat evenly, but this recipe is definitely worth the extra effort and is easy enough once you master the form and cooking process.