Vegan Ice Cream Recipes: Ice cream is the perfect guilty pleasure comfort food. Sweet and cold, the treat can be customized with a ton of mix-ins and toppings to create the perfect flavor profile to suit whatever mood or taste you are craving. Since it traditionally contains milk, ice cream is obviously not vegan. Fortunately, there are some easy swaps you can make to create your very own easy vegan ice creams at home. Let’s take a look at three amazing vegan ice cream recipes that you will absolutely adore!
The Vegan Ice Cream Recipes
There are a lot of different ways to make vegan ice cream. From using fruit to trying milk alternatives, which you prefer will be entirely up to your own taste. Let’s explore a few different methods to get you started on the path to creating your own tasty frozen treats!
1. Banana Nice Cream
Popular on Pinterest and other social media sites, banana-based “nice-cream” recipes are no new thing. This tasty treat has been around for years and has a ton of different flavoring variations and ideas to suit pretty much anything you could want. While not creamy and milky like traditional ice cream, banana nice cream gives the same effect and is a lot healthier, especially this easy one ingredient version that contains literally just bananas unless you decide to add some extra flavorings (which you totally should! Peanut butter, chocolate, and mango pieces all taste delicious in this style of ice cream!).
- 1 large banana, ripe
How To Make
- Make sure your banana is very ripe and not green to ensure it is sweet enough and will provide a good texture
- Peel the banana
- Chop the banana into small pieces
- Freeze the pieces overnight in an airtight container with a lid
- Remove the bananas from the dish and place them into a blender
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into a bowl
2. Milk Replacement Ice Cream
If you want something closer to the actual flavor of ice cream, this is as close as you can get. This delicious treat is rich, creamy, and hits all of the right notes. Just a warning, though, you will need an ice cream machine for this recipe.
This is derived from this The Kitchn recipe.
- 30 oz canned coconut milk (full-fat works best since it has a creamier texture)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
How To Make
- Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan, reserving ½ cup in a small bowl to the side
- Add the sugar, salt, and vanilla
- Heat until just warmed through
- Mix the cornstarch into the reserved coconut milk, whisking thoroughly to ensure no lumps form
- Pour the mixture into the cooking coconut milk
- Stir to combine
- Keep heating on medium until the mixture thickens, stirring often to prevent burning
- Once thickened, pour into a dish and place in the freezer to chill
- Pour the thick mixture into your ice cream maker and follow the directions of your machine to produce soft serve
- Remove once ready and place in a dish
- Chill in the freezer for six hours or until firm enough to scoop
3. Strawberry Sorbet
While not technically ice cream, sorbet is a great way to get the cooling, satisfying effect of ice cream with a lot less work. Plus, it is lighter and super refreshing!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups of pureed strawberries (can use a blender, make sure it is smooth)
How To Make
- Over low heat, dissolve the sugar, water, and cornstarch together. Let it cook until the mixture thickens into a syrup consistency, stirring often to prevent burning. This creates a simple syrup that will be the base of your sorbet and can take ten to twelve minutes.
- Let the syrup cool and stir in the strawberry puree
- Place in a container with a lid and freeze until set
- Scoop and enjoy!
- *You can easily customize this recipe by switching out the fruit puree used. Get creative! Mango is super tasty, too!
Cold and Refreshing
There is nothing quite like a delicious frozen snack on a cold day. If you are abstaining from dairy products, these Vegan tasty recipes will hit the spot and help cool you off on even the hottest summer afternoons. Plus, they are super fun to make and easy to customize! Get creative and have some fun! You just might find a new favorite flavor combination.